January 31, 2016 updated: William H. Evans was a golf writer in Philly very instrumental in pushing for municipal golf courses in the City. In 1919 he left the Evening Public Ledger and started writing Sunday golf columns for the The Philadelphia Record, basically replacing A.W. Tillinghast. In his first article (see below), he talks about how the best hole at Cobb’s wasn’t put into reality because of the rules on removing trees. In multiple articles Evans indicates Hugh Wilson, George Crump, and Ab Smith laid out Cobb’s Creek GC. That is quite a threesome!